Monday, July 13, 2009

How to Make People ASK For your Business Card



As a rule, I don't give out my business card unless someone asks
for it. Of course, there are rare exceptions, but normally, if
someone doesn't ask for my card - I don't give it out.

Let me explain why.

What happens when we give out our business card before someone
asks? We announce: This is what I am doing. And maybe even: I
want you to buy from me.

By giving out our business card when people don't ask for it, we
put ourselves and our businesses in the spotlight - this might be
gratifying for our ego, but it's not good for our positioning.
"Get in touch with me when you need me" is a weak attempt to get
someone interested in our product or service. Although most
people will politely accept the card, they will seldom - if ever
- call.

But that doesn't mean that you should leave everything to chance.
No, no! Think in terms of *earning* the right to be in people's
Rolodexo file - this way you will be asked for your business
card, which is an entirely different situation.

Now, it DOES takes a bit more effort than simply handing someone
your card and saying, "Call me when you need me." The good news
is that as a result of your extra efforts people will also *keep*
your card, and maybe even refer to it - instead of trashing it
with the others they receive unsolicited.

How to do it?

First of all, strive to become a person others feel attracted to.
That's very simple. It begins with developing a healthy ego,
which allows us to put other people in the spotlight instead of
ourselves. Another necessary skill is active listening (which has
very little to do with a superficial gazing into someone's eyes
and nodding in agreement - although it is a good beginning).

Like it or not, people are much more interested in their own
lives than in ours. And they love others who are genuinely
interested in their plans, desires, headaches, values, family,
hobbies, etc. If you encourage them to talk, you will be amazed
at how quickly they will reciprocate and ask: "And what do YOU
do?"

Isn't this a nice prompt for handing them your business card?

There are some ways that might *induce* someone to ASK for your
card. My favorite is asking for THEIR card first. You simply say
"Gee, this really sounds very interesting - let's make sure we
stay in touch. May I have your business card?"

Usually this prompts them to say "Sure, and may I have one of
yours?" It is that simple.

And what if they don't ask? I do not offer mine.

But guess what? Now, when I have their business card, I also have
permission to contact them. And that allows me to take the
initiative, so most of the time I immediately follow up with a
personal note stating something like:

Dear Jackie,
It was a true pleasure to chat with
you yesterday about.....
I am looking forward to getting to know
you better!
Wanda

And this time my card will be enclosed in the same envelope. Of
course, that doesn't mean that Jackie is going to call me. It
doesn't mean that she will want to meet with me or do business
with me right away - quite the contrary, most of the time it will
take a lot more follow-up than that one note. But it IS a pretty
good way to begin a relationship, don't you agree?

Wanda Loskot is professional speaker and business coach for small
business owners and self-employed professionals who LOVE what they
do - but HATE selling. For a cornucopia of free business strategies,
marketing tips, teleclasses and other valuable resources visit
Wanda's Success Connection at http://loska.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment